One question I always get is “What tools do I need in fruit carving?”
So I decided to do a blog post to answer it. Please note that these are my recommendations based on my experience. The list is not exhaustive and you can add or remove as your need changes or improves.
Like any other business, if you want to make money, you need to invest. The good news is that the start up costs for a fruit carving business is minimal compared to other skills like fashion or baking where you have to spend a whole lot more for tools and equipment.
First of all, you need SKILLS! then secondly main tools are below:
The number of tools you need largely depends on what your fruit carving business goal is.
1. Fruit Carving Knives- There are two types of fruit carving knives
A. Kom Kom Knife
B. Thai carving knife
Read more about them here: Here
These knives are specifically designed for fruit carving. You are welcome to learn how to carve when you enroll for our fruit carving lessons.
2. U-V Cutters- These cutters are called after the shape they have. These cutters do U and V cuts on a watermelon or pawpaw or any melon fruit.
You can search and read more about them on Amazon website. We do not sell them on our online store.
3. Melon baller. This is a name for a tool that looks like an ice cream scoop.
It makes balls out of watermelon, melon, papaya, apples and it comes in different sizes.
4. Crinkle Cutter- The tool leaves a wavy look when you use them on fruits and vegetables like carrots and cucumbers. Its a must-have tool for fruit platters and fruit palm tree displays.
5. Paring knife. A big paring knife is necessary for peeling and cutting massive fruits as watermelon, melon, pumpkin. I recommend you get peeling knives of different sizes.
6. Fruit Palm Tree Display Stand- To set up a tall fruit palm tree, you need a stand for your display. We teach exactly how you can set up a fruit palm tree in our lessons.
7. Pineapple Corer Slicer
- The Pineapple Corer Slicer and Peeler works like a cork screw, eliminating the flesh in earrings while leaving the core in the shell
- With this spiral sliced pineapple cutter, you simply whack the top off of the pineapple, attach the handle to the slicing device and twist the cutter into the fruit
- After you pull the entire interior of the pineapple out of a “shell” of peel, the pineapple covering remains intact so you can use it for serving a sweet or fruit salad
- This is also an important tool for a fruit palm tree display. You will see how in the lesson in the BASIC course.
Now the above list are MUST HAVES for a fruit carving business.
There are more extra tools you may need for your displays like skewers (long toothpicks), cookie cutters, carrot curler etc.
Depending on your goal, there are two questions you should always consider when you want to make a display
How do I want to display my fruit art?
Will I be able to get the items I need?
For example, with fruit platters, you will need disposable cake boards or for fruit bouquets you will need a number of baskets and/or flower pots to arrange your fruit bouquets.
And for elaborate fruit carving displays, you will need wooden or glass stands to elevate your carvings.
Its important to have necessary things available any time when you need them but try not to go overboard by acquiring alot of items you may not need.
Your success in business largely depends on your entrepreneur skills and if you are determined to overcome any challenges and remain in business.
But any fruit carver needs a professional carving knife. It is literally a carver`s best business friend!
Be prudent in spending money, buy good quality tools which you will use for years. I have a carving knife I have been using for seven years.
Some tools are cheaply made and of poor quality so you want to be careful. If you have enrolled on our course, remember that you get on demand business coaching and support for you fruit carving business. I am eager to help you succeed.